PLEASE NOTE: The medical opinions in USTA.com's Ask the Lab are responses intended for the average player. Please consult with your primary physician before beginning any new exercise or dietary program.
Question: Do you have some good suggestions about how best to eat at fast food places when on the road? James, C. Macon, GA.
From Page Love, Registered and Licensed Dietitian:
Thank you for a very relevant question for tennis players and tennis parents. Listed below is a simple list of potential "better choices" when navigating the fast food places that you occasionally may need to eat at during your travels to and from tennis tournaments.
McDonald's and Burger King:
- Grilled chicken sandwiches, hold the mayo
- Plain hamburger or veggie burgers
- Yogurt parfait
- Side salad with light dressing (balsamic vinegar)
- Veggie and cheese pizzas
- Thin crusts and side salads
- Lean meat toppings
Taco Bell or Burrito Joints:
- Bean burrito, fresco style
- Soft chicken tacos and burritos
- Grilled chicken sandwich
- Side salad with light dressing (use ½ dressing packet)
- Baked potato topped with broccoli
- Turkey or lean meats; choose light cheese or mayo or oil (just one)
- Ask for extra veggies or side salads
- Hold the cheese unless a light variety is available
- Ask for wheat breads and Sunchips vs regular chips
Page Love, MS, RD, CSSD, LD
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Certified Specialist in Sport Dietetics
Nutrifit, Sport, Therapy, Inc.
Consultant, ATP and WTA Tours and USTA Player Development