MASON, Ohio -
For the fourth tournament in a row, 17-year-old American Melanie Oudin
has advanced through qualifying and into the main draw. She headlines the group of eight players to have successfully navigated the qualifying tournament at the 2009 Western & Southern Financial Group Women’s Open.
Oudin, who reached the fourth round of Wimbledon as a qualifier, was placed into the main draw opposite Ana Ivanovic
. Those two will face off on Monday in the second match.
Also qualifying on Sunday was No. 10 seed Kateryna Bondarenko
and No. 13 seed Urszula Radwanska
, both of whom join their sisters, Alona and Agnieska, respectively, in the main draw.
The fifteenth seed in qualifying, Tatjana Malek
, recorded an upset of top seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
to reach the main draw.
Rounding out the additions to the main draw were No. 2 seed Yaroslava Shvedova
, No. 3 Yanina Wickmayer
, No. 6 Olga Govortsova
and No. 8 Ayumi Morita
All qualifiers have now been placed in the main draw
. 2009 Women’s Qualifying Draw
Sunday’s Qualifying Results
(15) Tatjana Malek (GER) d (1) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) 61 62?
(2) Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ) d [WC] Shenay Perry (USA) 50 Retired?(knee)
(3) Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) d Alla Kudryavtseva (RUS) 62 64?
(10) Kateryna Bondarenko (UKR) d (4) Tathiana Garbin (ITA) 61 60
(6) Olga Govortsova (BLR) d (9) Shahar Peer (ISR) 63 62?
(8) Ayumi Morita (JPN) d Jill Craybas (USA) 64 76(6)?
(12) Melanie Oudin (USA) d Varvara Lepchenko (USA) 75 62
(13) Urszula Radwanska (POL) d Galina Voskoboeva (KAZ) 61 61?First Round
(13) Urszula Radwanska (POL) d [WC] Abigail Spears (USA) 76(3) 62