The Western & Southern Masters and Women's Open set an event attendance record in 2010, with a total of 233,775 fans attending the two-week event. The previous high mark was set in 2009 when approximate 225,000 people visited the Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason, OH.
The event occurred August 7-22, 2010 and included 29 session over 16 days of play. The WTA Women's Open was played during the first week and ATP Masters event during the second.
A look at 2010 attendance for some comparitive non-Grand Slam events that host both the ATP and WTA tours:
- BNP Paribas Open (Indian Wells, CA) -- 339,657
- Sony Ericsson Open (Miami, FL) -- 312,386
- Western & Southern Masters and Women's Open (Cincinnati, OH) -- 233,775
- Matua Madrilena Open (Madrid, Spain) -- 205,488
- Internationali BNL d'Italia (Rome, Italy) -- 122.880 (men)
As a reference point, the US Open hosted a record 721,059 people in 2009. At the time of this story, the 2010 US Open attendance figures had not yet been made public.